Tuesday, November 26, 2013

What Does It Mean To "Be Thankful"?

What are you thankful for? That seems to be a trendy posting status on Facebook these days. But really what does it mean to "be thankful" and "give thanks". Definitions say "to express gratitude" or "grateful acknowledgement of benefit or favors".

Every year Thanksgiving prompts me to ponder what it means for me to be thankful and to give back. Sometimes life is so busy that we often forget about all of the amazing things around us. As with many others, for me, between work, kids, appointments, errands, etc. it is so easy for me to get wrapped up in the whirlwind without even taking notice, for even one moment, of all the wonderful things in my life. I am trying each day to consciously make an effort to stop. Stop and take inventory of all the bounties that I am grateful for such as my family, our health, a warm bed to sleep in, yummy food to nourish us, friends to share with, art to create and so much more. 

Once I recognize all the things that I am grateful for I notice that it allows more room in my life for what truly matters. It gives me more space in my life for forgiveness, for love and compassion. After all, I am but one small piece in this vast universe. I am here to give. So I will continue to give...give my time, my help, my love, my unsolicited advice (ha!) and try to receive all offerings with sincere gratitude. After all, that's what life is all about. 


Happy Thanksgiving!

Sea & Green


No comments:

Post a Comment